International attendees are encouraged to apply for visas as early as possible. Registration refunds will not be issued for denied visas. As part of security procedures, applications for visas are sent to the U.S. State Department for a security review. For further information, visit the State Department website.
Tips for the visa application process:
- Don't Wait! It's recommended that you apply for your visa four (4) to six (6) months before traveling. You should provide your entire trip itinerary, including travel to any countries other than the United States, at the time of visa application.
- If completion of travel plans is contingent upon early approval of the visa application, specify this at the time of the application.
- Provide AMP 2017 Meeting Advertisement and personalized Invitation Letter.
- Provide proof of scientific status (e.g., proof that you submitted an abstract for the meeting). Do not wait until you receive notification that your abstract submission has been accepted before applying for a visa.
- Bring your English-language resume or CV with a list of published articles and research topics to the U.S. consulate/embassy interview.
- Provide evidence that you intend to return to your country of residence. This includes such information as:
- family ties in current country of residence
- property ownership
- bank account
- employment contract or statement from an employer showing that your position will continue after the dates of travel
- Requirements vary by passport-issuing country and citizenship (not merely residency). Some consulates may have backlogs in scheduling visa interviews, so applicants should first contact their local consulate to determine what the wait times are for visa interviews. Check the current list of visa interview and processing wait times by country.
Visa Waiver Program
Some foreign meeting participants may not need visas if they are citizens of any of the countries on the Visa Waiver Program. Travelers of the Visa Waiver Program are required to have a valid Machine-Readable Passports (MRP) issued by one of the 38 Visa Waiver Program countries. The validity of the passport must extend six months beyond the traveler's planned date of departure to the United States (unless exempted by country-specific agreements). Travelers must be eligible to use the VWP and have a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval prior to travel.
If your visa has been pending for at least 30 days and it's14 days prior to the start date of the Annual Meeting, you should complete the Visa online questionnaire. Eligibility requirements are listed before you begin. Please note that individuals who have applied for dependent visas (such as F2 and J2) should not complete this questionnaire.
Invitation Letters can be requested by individuals who have subbmitted an abstract or would like to attend the meeting and who have registered for the AMP 2017 Annual Meeting. Please send requests to the AMP Office (email@example.com) and make sure you include the following information:
- Mailing Address
- E-mail Address
- Reason for Attending the Meeting - Educational Credits, Present Material (Oral presentation or Poster)